Monday, December 12, 2005

Shop until you drop

I could never understand how people could love shopping. Why do millions of people go downtown on Saturday to shop? It seems like there would be a lot of other things that would be more fun.

When I was a kid I had to go shopping for my mother. I grew up in Greenwich Village when there were still specialty stores. There was Murrays for cheese, Zito’s for bread and Costas for other groceries. To me shopping was a chore so when I got older that was the last thing I wanted to do on a Saturday.

I have friends that live to shop. Every Saturday they are downtown looking for that bargain. They have a fist for of coupons that saves them a penny here and there. They love to tell me how much they saved. I hate to tell them that I saved the most by not buying anything.

Now that I have the shopping disease I wonder if I will go through the fliers in the paper looking for a bargain and then driving an hour out of my way to get it. Luckily I can’t drive right now so we won’t find out for a while. Hopefully I will be cured by then.

I do love going to Ikea but not for the shopping. I love the food. They have breakfast for 99 cents. Is that great? Scrambled eggs and home fries and toast…great stuff!
I would go there everyday if it wasn’t 50 minutes away and gas wasn’t so expensive. Sort of defeats the purpose. But going to Ikea is an experience and it is great for people watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home