Thursday, January 19, 2006

New Orleans

I got an email from a grade school friend today. Most people probably don't even remember who was in their grade school class. Heck I don't remember anyone from high school but I could name everyone is my grade school class. There were about 20 of us and we were in the same class from 3rd grade until 7th. Some of the kids started in kindergarten. In 8th grade we were split into two classes. Why? Because it was an Episcopalian school and we had to take bible history. But our class was half Jewish so they didn't have to learn the New Testament. So they divided the class and while we were reading the New Testament they were learning Latin.

You are probably wondering why the Jewish kids were in an Episcopalian school. I am pretty sure it was because it was one of the only private schools in Greenwich Village at the time. And they really did not push the religion down your throat.

To get back to the email. My classmate told me she was living in New Orleans. She had given up her Coop in New York and had bought a cute house just before the hurricane. I hadn’t heard this and was quite surprised. The last time I saw her which was a couple of years ago she had been recovering from Cancer. Anyway, her house wasn’t damaged that much. But I thought I would share what she wrote about living there now.

She writes, “We here refer to New Orleans as Baghdad on the Bayou these days and it is amazing to be part of the re-building/re-newal effort. These are amazing folk !”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home