Sunday, February 05, 2006

Are you fat?

Have you noticed how fat people are? Do you really think they like all that extra weight hanging off their arms and thighs? I don't know if it is just suburbia or if it is happening in the cities too.

I don't know if I am oversensitive about it because I have to take steriods that make you look like you are 50 pounds heavier. I think I should make up a sign that says I don't really look like Shriek.

My daughter is on a diet. I am very proud of her. She had gained some weight while living in Boston. Must have been all that beer. Only kidding, Norah. Of course, I have been nagging her all these years because I know how unhealthy it is. I tried to get my doctor to talk to her but he wanted to her to go to Brigham and Women's Hospital.

I would hate to see her get sick. I don't think I would handle it well. Probably cry a lot.

My daughter and I finally made a deal about not talking about her weight and it was very hard. But to me it was like not talking about her drug problem or drinking problem. How could I not talk about it and who is to say it isn't like a drinking problem. And why are people so afraid to tell their friends or spouses that they are worried about them? I have a girlfriend that has always asked me how my weight is. It used to bother me because I thought she was being vain but it wasn't true. She had seen too many of her friends gain weight and get diabetes.

I on the other hand am sick of my health insurance going up. I pay just under 1000.00 a month for my health insurance. The researchers said the rising insurance company spending can be traced to the cost of treating the obese. In 2001, they said, overweight people with private health insurance pushed up insurance outlays an average of $1,200 per person when compared with people with healthy weights. In 1987, the difference was less than $300.

So if you are obese, do something about it ! Go walk around the block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home